If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Shampoo for Smelly Dog is, then I’d recommend the Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo as the best one.
Having a dog can be so much fun. Some dog owners go as far as loving their pets unconditionally. It is undeniable that they can have adorable and lovable faces and personalities sometimes.
But, all these can become irrelevant and put any dog owner off when their dogs are carrying an unpleasant smell. Sometimes, this odor can get worse and offensive that you would avoid your dog. At this point, it helps to find the best dog shampoo for smell.
With the right shampoo product, things can go back to the way they used to be with cuddling and petting your adorable canine.
Top 5 Best Shampoo For Smelly Dog
Why Dogs Smell?
The truth is, every now and then, all dogs are capable of getting a little smelly. One obvious reason is that sometimes they go too long between dips in the tub. Or they get into something stinky outside, like another animal’s poo or a tangle with a skunk.
At other times, the smell could be a result of skin disease or other disorders. Or becoming contaminated with odors from other sources in their environment. Things such as skin folds, bacteria, yeast, and anal glands can also cause a dog to smell bad.
This is why it is advisable to regularly brush your dog to remove dead skin cells called dander. Generally, as with all mammals, dogs have natural odors. They have sweat glands, called apocrine glands, associated with every hair follicle on the body that naturally produces secretions. The function of which is to produce scents allowing for individual animal recognition by dogs and other species.
Things To Look For In The Best Dog Shampoos For Odor
There is no lack of choice when it comes to looking for a shampoo for your smelly dog. There are loads of products out there in the market to make your choice.
While a good number of them might do a good job, for the sake of the health of your dog’s skin and health, there is much more to expect from the best shampoo for dog smell. If you’re looking to buy one, here are a few considerations to make.
1. All Natural
Can shampoo be made from natural ingredients? As hard as it may be to believe YES, they can. A shampoo product can be all-natural and not feature any sort of harsh chemicals and/or artificial ingredients that could be harmful to your pet.
Allergens themselves can be considered harsh, artificial, and all-the-way harmful to. So checking for them as well is important. Don’t be deceived by any label because it says it’s all-natural; take some time to turn the bottle and read the ingredients.
2. Your Dog’s Skin
Different dogs have different kinds and sensitivity of the skin. What may be good for one dog may not be good for the other. Your choice of shampoo should be made after a careful analysis of the condition of the skin of your dog.
To do so, you may need to involve the help of a professional, especially if your dog has a medical condition with the skin.
An important detail you want to look out for in your shampoo is the term cruelty-free. This is an important step we should take towards a better environment and world at large.
Some companies will say that they don’t conduct animal tests unless required by law. This means that they’re choosing to pay for tests on animals so that they can sell more products. You want to avoid such products!
Luckily, more manufacturers are gradually giving up on such testing, so you shouldn’t have a problem with finding cruelty-free shampoos.
4. Your Pup’s Coat
Do you like seeing your pooch with a lifeless and dull coat? Of course, no dog owner does. Experts will tell you that your dog’s health is directly related to the condition of his/her fur.
There are shampoos that are deliberately manufactured to promote a shiny and healthy coat, help heal any form of brittleness and bring back the shine. This way, you will be proud to show off your dog.
5. Fresh Scent
Everybody sure loves a nice smell, and so you want to go for something that smells nice and also does so for a long time. While you’re at it, it is important to note that animals have a sense of smell that is more refined than ours. And so intense scents may trouble their respiratory system. So the word natural also comes to play here.
You want to choose only the ones that are naturally scented. With ingredients such as citrus, lavender or others. This you should be able to see on the label at the back of the product container.
Ingredients You May Want To Avoid
You will agree with me that a lot of the products we have on the market are just chemicals and toxins with a pleasant scent to tricking you into thinking they’re natural.
Never make the mistake of not flipping the bottle and checking the list of ingredients to see what the shampoo is made of.
Here are a few of those you should avoid:
1. Artificial Colors
No doubt one of the things that usually attract one to a product such as a shampoo is its lovely bright color. A lot of the time they look like a subtle tint of natural ingredients but are probably just artificial coloring.
You want to avoid this as they can be very detrimental to the skin and health of your pup. They can lead to conditions such as cancer.
2. Emulsifiers and Surfactants
These are components that help any shampoo to easily foam up and remove dirt. But, they are likely to cause damage to the health of your dog’s skin by encouraging the entry of carcinogens. This is typical of sulfates such as ammonium lauryl sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate.
They may also affect the production of hormones and break down the defense system of the skin. Thus giving room for allergens, fungi, and bacteria.
3. Mineral Oil
You’re probably wondering why something such as mineral oil will not be good for your pup. Well, sometimes the industry tends to paint something bad as something good. They are byproducts of crude oil’s distilled gasoline and coat the skin of your pet. Thus preventing them from releasing their own oils.
The end result may not be good for the health of your pup.
4. Synthetic Scent
No doubt, one of your goals of buying a shampoo may be to mask the offensive odor of your dog. But, it is also important to consider the harm it may cause. Synthetic fragrances, in particular, are made from phthalates and can be harmful to the liver and reproductive system.
Recommended fragrances you want to look out for are those from herbs, honey, and essential oils.
5 Best Shampoo For Dog Odor Reviews
- oatmeal shampoo for dogs and puppies - petpleasant’s premium colloidal oatmeal pet shampoo is the only extra strength shampoo available which utilizes a pure and natural formula to provide full relief for itchy and irritated skin while maintaining smell control for a restorative bathing experience.
- premium colloidal oatmeal formulation - incorporated at its maximum dosage for extra strength benefits colloidal oatmeal soothes dry and flaky skin while doubling as a safe and effective smell and stink remover. comfort your dog or puppy with the best treatment for pets with sensitive skin and rashes and say goodbye to stinky doggy smell and endless scratching today!
- gentle nourishing shampoo + conditioner base - unlike many doggy shampoos which utilize harsh surfactants petpleasant oatmeal pet shampoo is formulated with the most effective nourishing ingredients to result in a vet recommended clinical formula which is sulfate free as well as paraben free & tear free.
- enhanced with natural grooming moisturizers - enhanced with healing moisturizers including jojoba and provitamin b5 to combat skin irritation for pets with painful irritated skin. conditioning agents help detangle fur leaving the full coat soft and smooth.
- manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility in the us. bottled in an environmentally-friendly bpa free bottle with easy dispensing cap. natural hypoallergenic and the best solution in pet care available honeydew products petpleasant 8oz oatmeal pet shampoo is assured to exceed expectations in quality and effectiveness.
If you’re looking for a dog shampoo that is made from an all-natural ingredient, you may want to consider the BOOCOSA Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo.
This is a medicated shampoo. And one of the few that uses pure and natural formula in maintaining odor control and at the same time providing relief from irritated and itching skin. It is made in the USA and is contained in a bottle that is BPA-free and eco-friendly.
It features lots of amazing ingredients one of which is colloidal oatmeal and this helps in soothing dry and flaky skin. As much as getting your pup all cleaned up, it also serves as an effective deodorizer and odor remover.
Unlike a lot of other shampoos out there, the BOOCOSA Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo does not contain harsh chemicals. And as such is safe for any dog, even the sensitive-skinned ones.
This is one dog shampoo that is enhanced with natural grooming moisturizers like Provitamin B5 and Jojoba which plays an important role in combating skin irritation.
It also features conditioning agents that help in fur detangling, softening, and smoothing your dog’s coat. If your dog happens to be the type that loves to roll in the dirt and muddy puddles, there’s no cause for alarm with the BOOCOSA Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo.
|It is all-natural||Its scent does not last long|
|It reduces irritation||It is available in only one size|
|It helps make the hair fluffy|
|It smells fresh|
|It is moisturizing|
|It lathers and rinses easily|
No products found.
The MinkSheen Pet Shampoo is a one-of-a-kind dog shampoo for your pet. It comes with one of the most amazing odor neutralizers, and so promises to make bath time for you and your furry friends a pleasant and pleasurable experience.
This is a recommended shampoo for both immediate and long-term results with its mink-oil making it unmatched for coat softness and shine. They also recommended for sensitive skin, as they are effective in re-moisturizing, soothing, and restoring elasticity to coats.
Its mix of citronella, cedar oil, and eucalyptus makes it one of the best smelling shampoos you will ever find leaving your dog with a fresh smell. Thanks to its omega 7 component, it is gentle on your dog and doesn’t irritate the skin or create hot spots. Instead, it helps soothe irritated skin.
This is no doubt an excellent value to groomers with ingredients such as vitamin E and mink oil for maintaining the general health of the dog’s skin and coat. It features antibacterial elements and essential that is effective in repelling dirt, killing bacteria and deterring insects.
|It is made of natural ingredients||It is highly concentrated|
|It is antibacterial||It may leave the skin brittle|
|It forms lather easily|
|It is soothing to the skin and coat|
|It is safe for frequent use|
|It is biodegradable|
No products found.
- Comprehensive anti itch formula: Natural oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera based pet shampoo with coconut provides instant itch relief! Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with cats and dogs with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for guinea pigs as well
- Vet endorsed & smell incredible: The light yet amazing oatmeal cookie scent is the long lasting way to eliminate odor. Vet formulated specifically for large or small dogs and cats. This is the secret of some leading professional groomers
- Pet allergy friendly: All-natural and hypoallergenic soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion with anti-bacterial & anti-fungal treatment – helps protect your doggy or kitty from itching, shedding, fleas, yeast, & allergies! Zero harmful chemicals (unlike other dog shampoos)
- Tear free & dandruff free: The only natural dog shampoo I’ll use on my own pets from puppy & kitty to senior dogs and cats! Plant derived ingredients are gentle on paw and nose and provide enhanced moisturizing
- Lifetime, no questions asked, manufacturer money back guarantee (yes, lifetime) - You and your pets will Love it or get a full refund, plus it is made 100% in the USA cruelty-free so go ahead and make your fur baby even more huggable by clicking "Add to Cart" now
Are you looking for a shampoo that promises to help soothe your dog’s skin while cleansing the fur? You may want to consider getting the Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo & Conditioner.
This is one shampoo that is well suited to dogs of all sizes, ages, and breeds. It is also beneficial for many pet households as it is also friendly for cats too.
As implied by its name, it is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner and as such will save you time and money on purchasing a separate conditioner. The Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo is formulated with all plant-derived natural ingredients with zero harmful chemicals with organic oatmeal and aloe vera as its main.
This makes it perfect for dogs that have sensitive skin and coat, as they provide relief from itches and sores where necessary. This deodorizing shampoo can also serve as an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal treatment. Protecting your dogs from allergies, foul odor, and flea yeast.
This is one shampoo a lot of dog owners say they love the lingering and long-lasting oatmeal cookie scent and I am confident you will love it too.
|It is made with natural ingredients||It may cause eye irritation|
|It is antibacterial and antifungal||It is likely to cause excessive shedding|
|It is deodorizing and the scents great|
|It is perfect for sensitive skin|
|It leaves your dog's coat soft and shiny|
|It offers relief from itching|
- DOG SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER – Pet shampoo & conditioner made in the USA with ingredients from the garden, green tea & bergamont
- WITH HYDRATING OILS – This 2-in-1 pet wash cleans and moisturizes with ingredients like green tea & bergamot botanical extracts
- EASY PET GROOMING FOR DOGS – Dirty dogs don't stand a chance. One application means easy, gentle, and safe dog grooming that leaves your dog soft, fluffy and smelling great.
- SOOTHING & SAFE SHAMPOO – Dog shampoo with a soothing formula safe for frequent use.
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED – Made with a coconut base, aloe vera and vitamin E to nourish skin and make coats velvety soft.
If you’re looking for a dog shampoo with a record of lasting freshness, you may have got it with Buddy Wash Dog Shampoo & Conditioner.
This is yet another all-natural, and soap-free product with a mix of cosmetic-grade ingredients, botanical extracts, and essential oils. One of the attractions of this product is its 2-in-1 package and thus making it half the work as other shampoos.
The Buddy Dog Shampoo contains no alcohol and as such won’t burn your dog’s skin and you can use it often. It is made in the USA with natural herbs and oils and free of harsh ingredients. It is USDA certified and such produced under safe and approved conditions and can be used on even puppies.
Its aloe vera and tea tree oil component help to soothe irritated skin. The company behind this awesome product ensures not to use animal testing. For a soothing bath time experience, you may want to consider the Buddy Wash Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. Plus it makes a rich lather that rinses out easily.
|It is all-natural||It is not antifungal|
|It is alcohol-free||It may not be recommended for dogs allergic sweat|
|It is cruelty-free|
|It easily builds a rich lather|
|It rinses easily|
|It is soap-free|
- 🌾USDA ORGANIC TO FOOD STANDARDS HUMAN GRADE OATMEAL - Our oatmeal dog shampoo features non-GMO oat kernel extracted oatmeal. Far superior to low cost colloidal oatmeal shampoo for dogs - 4-Legger is NOT chemically altered to retain all of its natural anti-inflammatory, anti-itch, anti-irritant, and moisturizing properties for healthy skin and a silky shine
- 🐶#1 HOLISTIC VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED - 100% natural mild and gentle USDA Certified Organic dog oatmeal shampoo will gently clean and moisturize dry and itchy skin while nourishing your dog's coat using our premium oatmeal, soothing and calming lavender essential oil, aloe vera, coconut, shea butter, jojoba, and olive oils
- 🌎ECO FRIENDLY - 100% biodegradable made in small batches in the USA using sustainably sourced ingredients, pesticide and herbicide free non-GMO oatmeal, cruelty free, vegan, and eco-friendly. Naturally reduce skin irritation with great smelling lavender essential oil
- 🍃NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS OR SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS - Detergent-free, sulfate-free, and paraben-free, with no toxic preservatives - a truly all natural safe and non-toxic healthy bath for gentle cleaning, coat softening, and skin moisturizing. Safe for frequent use and pets of all ages - from puppy to cat
- 🐾MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Easy to lather and rinse concentrated holistic shampoo will not strip the natural oils from your dog's coat. No artificial thickeners that add toxicity to your dog's bath. A little goes a long way to get rid of that wet dog smell!
One of the few products that take pride in its all-natural ingredients is none other than the 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo. They feature a natural essential oil blend of lemongrass and rosemary, organic aloe vera, rosemary extract, saponified organic Rosemary extract, oils of olive, jojoba, and coconut.
These holistic ingredients help in promoting dog’s cleanliness; moisturizing and conditioning their skin and coat. It promises not to strip your dog’s skin and coat of its natural oils. With one of its key ingredients being lemongrass, it serves as a natural repellent property for deterring fleas, ticks, flies, and mosquitoes.
Thanks to its natural and gentle formulation, this dog shampoo is recommended for daily use and thus helps to maintain the freshness of your dog regardless of skin type.
You can be rest assured of its safety as this product is USDA certified, implying that its production methods are approved and safe.
It is free from synthetic and artificial ingredients and has no detergents or sulfates. Its formula is concentrated and lathers form easily and rinse out easily too and only takes a little to bathe your dog.
|It is all-natural||Not tear-free|
|It is antibacterial|
|It is USDA Certified Organic to Food Standards|
|It is hypoallergenic|
|It is antifungal|
|It is detergent-free|
Final Words On Best Dog Shampoo For Odor
You will agree with me that nothing compares to a fresh and clean smelling dog. But, maintaining this freshness is sometimes a great challenge to lots of pet owners and the result is a smelling dog. Your pets deserve to have smooth and healthy skin and fur this is why we recommend the above list of best shampoo for smelly dogs. But
But, my top pick goes to Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo. To start with, this product is made from all-natural and nourishing ingredients. It is one of the few medicated shampoos with pure and natural formula effect for not just keeping the skin clean, but deodorizing and providing relief from skin irritations.
This is simply one shampoo that is built with your dog’s skin and coat health in mind. With the Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo, you can’t miss keeping your pups smelling fresh and clean.
Did you like “Best Shampoo For Smelly Dog”? We would greatly appreciate it if you would share this on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API